Thursday, October 2, 2014

My Kind of Heroine: What makes a good heroine? by Dena Garson #PNR #Eroticromance



 
As I sat down to write this post, I thought about some of my favorite heroines. My original intent was to give you a list of my favorite heroine but I quickly realized what a large list that would be. So I decided to focus on what it was about those characters that I liked so well. Here’s a list of things those character have in common.

1.  Humor. A heroine should be able to laugh at herself and maybe even the hero (“with” the hero is probably better though). At a minimum, a heroine should be able to find the humor in life.

2.  Hopeful. Hope is a powerful thing. It gives you strength to go on even when all seems lost. A heroine should have a healthy dose of it or be in a position to give hope to others.

3.  Self-Sufficient. Romance is about two people coming together and falling in love. But that doesn’t mean one becomes dependent on the other. I prefer my heroines to get up and slay their own dragons instead of waiting on the prince to come along and save her.

4.  Strong. Strength is not always about physical strength. Often it is about emotional strength. What someone is able to handle before they break.

5.  Honest. Bad situations may create environments where heroines are forced to be dishonest about things (like undercover work). But a heroine should always be honest with herself. About who she really is, what she feels and what she wants in life.

6.  Independent. Even after the heroine finds her hero she shouldn’t give up her entire being. If she was a chef or a ballerina or a CIA agent before she met the hero, she should still have many of the same goals and dreams after they become a couple.

7.  Smart. I don’t expect every heroine I read about to be a walking Einstein. But everyone has things they are good at, skills they have developed or a specialty that makes them stand out. It may be solving equations or interpreting body language or recognizing a masterpiece. Or it may even be a healthy dose of street smarts.

8.  Giving. I don’t mean the heroine gives everything she owns to charity. I mean good heroines are generous with the people they love or those who fall under their protection. They give of themselves and of their time.

We really are fortunate to have access to so many great books with lots of great heroines.

With Halloween coming up later this month, be sure you check out my paranormal romance, Ghostly Persuasion.

When American-born Katie takes her mother’s ashes home to Ireland, she finds hunky but spellbound Seamus loitering in her suite at Castle Tullamore. Seamus is surprised Katie can see and hear him because he was turned into a spirit three hundred years earlier. He acts as her personal tour guide, not only showing her the historical sights but introducing her to voyeurism and a variety of other carnal delights. As frustrating as it is not to be able to touch each other, they push the limits as far as possible.

Katie is determined to help Seamus break the spell cast on him by the wife of a previous lord, a woman he refused to take as a lover. With help from a few castle ghosts and the local witch, the two of them aim to free him and find a way to be together in the flesh.

You can see the book trailer at: http://youtu.be/k3BGHI1bwd4


Buy Links:

Author Bio:
Dena Garson loves to read romance - the hotter the better. When one of her BFF's said "one of us should be writing this stuff" she took up the challenge. If she isn't writing, she's making beaded jewelry and somehow still manages to make it into the office on a regular basis.


4 comments:

  1. I love your list of heroine qualities, especially humor. The only one I'd add is loyal, not only to friends but to herself. Great post! Best wishes with your book release!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops - meant to say loyalty. Not yet awake...

      Delete
    2. I agree, Ashantay. That is a good quality. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Dena,
    Welcome to the Snarkology. Thank you for participating in My Kind of Heroine. I love your list. "Self-sufficient" and "independent" really nail it for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete